Three years ago I went to my friend Danielle’s house for their first annual Oktoberfest. That night she served a dessert called Soda Cracker Candy. Let’s just call it “Crack.”
The same Danielle who wouldn’t stop pouring my grape juice when I was 6 itroduced me to this wonderful dessert that I’m sharing with you tonight.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Saltine crackers (about 1 1/4 sleeves)
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and grease with butter or cooking spray.
- Line cookie sheet with crackers.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan on low heat. Add brown sugar and whisk until completely combined. Stir slowly and bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over crackers, covering them completely. (You may have to spread the caramelized mixture over the crackers to cover them evenly. Work fast though, because it’ll start to harden if you’re too slow.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- When you remove the pan from the oven, immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. As the chocolate chips start to melt, spread it evenly over the caramelized crackers.
- Let cool completely and then cut into squares. (I waited a good 2 hours and used a pizza cutter to follow the cracker outlines.)
I’ll warn you – these are very rich and addictive, hence the “crack” nickname. They taste a bit like toffee. Enjoy!